Thursday, November 25, 2010

Siem Reap Markets

Because Siem Reap is such a popular tourist destination, there are lots of places to buy souveniers. The tourist market in Siem Reap is a maze of small shops and stalls selling a variety of Cambodian arts, crafts, clothes, and other assorted junk. A visit to the tourist market is even more intresting because it is connected to the "wet market" where the residents of Siem Reap sell fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.

Although Cambodia has its own currency, the riel, the U.S. dollar is commonly used. However, I don't think that they use American coins because every time you paid in US dollars you received change back in riel. The 4000 riels that I brought home with me are not quite worth 1 U.S. dollar.

Tourist Market

I spent a little time, and some money, in the tourist market (don't you wish that you were on my Christmas list?). I was lucky because I was there in the morning so I received the very special, low, "morning price". I hope that doesn't make my gifts any less meaningful.

Looking down the ailses.





Salespeople.






The sales lady's cute daughter.



Wet Market

I enjoyed spending time in the wet market because you get to experience the sights, and smells, of the real Cambodia.

Overview




Selling veggies.


Rice.


The vendors sit on the tables selling their goodies.


Cambodian sausage.


Butcher Shop. This was the first time that I have ever seen a butcher's shop just across the ailse from a shop selling jewelry.


Cutting open a jack fruit. Jack fruits are also found in Malaysia. They are extremely sweet and I find them to taste inviting and disturbing at the same time so I can only eat them in very small amounts.



Seamstress



Drug store stall.


You can even get your hair done.








At the end of a long day of shopping there is nothing more refreshing than a "big cola".

No comments:

Post a Comment