Sunday, November 14, 2010

Getting to Know the Clickers!


Click Camp 2010 was intended to allow underserved Malaysian teenagers, aged 14 - 16, to improve their English skills and to gain leadership experience. There were approximately 200 campers from the states of Selangor, Kelantan, and Terennganu. The campers arrived in Cherating on Thursday and left on Sunday, so they had a nice four days. The camp staff (counsellors) were Malaysian alumni of exchange programs to the US and they provided great leadership and enthusiasm. I have spent a lot of time working in camps in my life and I know that great camps only come about when their are great kids, great staff, great location, and great organization. It was clear that everything was in place because the kids were all having a great time and having a unique experience that I hope will stick with them.

Using Social Media

There is no denying the power of social media such as blogs, Facebook, and Twitter to make it easier for people to stay in contact. The Click Camp staff has developed a blog that allows the staff and students to post about their experiences at the camp. This is a great blog with lots of interesting pictures. If you want to see more about what happened at Click Camp check out http://theclickcamp2010.blogspot.com/. There are plenty of photos of me there, so I am sure you will all want to take a look! (and the kids are cute as well). They also have a Facebook site. I alredy have nine new Facebook friends and the weekend hasn't even been over for 24 hours!

We arrived as the Clickers were finishing one of their afternoon sessions.




If I remember right, here the Clickers are responding the the question "who thinks that Mark is the coolest guy ever"!


We first got to meet the kids on the beach later that afternoon. I showed some of them how to "get their guns up" so .......


they had to show me their guns!


Which way to the beach!


The Chicken Dance. I am so proud that we have been able to export this great example of American culture!


We met up with the Clickers again after dinner as they were enjoying playing games in the hotel. Here are a bunch of pool sharks.


Malaysians have lots of experience on scooters so they should be good at this game.


I think that the girls had just beaten the boys at foosball.

No comments:

Post a Comment