Saturday, June 26, 2010

Some Interesting Things That I Have Seen

I have tried to post a lot of photos because that seems to be the best way to give you some idea of what things are like over here. There are some things that I have seen, that I wish I had taken pictures of, but I don't like to be intrusive, or get beat up, so I didn't.

Workout Clothes

Everyone knows that selling cute clothes for women to work out in (or at least to look good at the gym) is a multi-jillion dollar industry back in the US. There is not as much spandex in the workout clothes that I have seen over here.

I will try to talk a lot more about clothes that people wear later after I learn something more about it. Many of the Malay women (who are Muslims, by definition) wear a traditional head scarf. Today as I was walking around the park trying (in vain) to cool down after working out, I notice that many Malay girls were jogging in long sweat pants, long sleeve shirts, and headscarfs. They must have been melting! (although they probably get a better workout than some of the spandex queens prancing around the Tech Rec Center).

The traditional outfits of Malay women are much different from the burkas(burqas)worn by some women from the Middle East which are typcially black and cover everything except for the eyes. I have seen a number of women wearing burkas in KL, because there are a lot of tourists from the Middle East that visit Malaysia. I saw many more women wearing burkas when I was staying down in Bukit Bintang than I do in PJ or on campus, because Bukit Bintang is where a lot of the high end malls are.

As I came out of the gym the other day, I noticed a woman in a burka waiting in the lounge outside the gym. I went and cooled off by the pool for a while, and when I passed through again this woman was running on the treadmill. Her burka was white and she was wearing running shoes. She was really tearing it up on the treadmill. It must have been her workout burka!!

Business in the Front, Party in the Back

I saw my first Malaysian guy (a Malay I think) with a "Mullet" haircut last night. You could tell that he was so pround of his hair (and unbelieveably, so was his girlfriend). I can tell you that the mullet is one fashion statement that is equally effective anywhere in the world. I don't know if Americans invented the mullet, but if we did then it is another of exports from the US of A that we can be proud of.

Sunday Evening- I just saw my second mullet on a guy fishing in the lake in the park across the street. One is an aberation, two is a trend, will three mean a movement?!?

1 comment: