Wednesday, June 9, 2010

First Trip to UM



Yesterday I took my first trip to the University of Malay, my academic hosts during my visit. Getting there involved walking to the monorail station, waiting for the monorail, riding the monorail, walking to to the train station, waiting for the train, riding thet train, and then walking to campus. In the end the trip took about 50 minutes which made it really clear to me that I would not be interested in living downtown and commuting to work every day.




UM Campus


The little bit I saw of the campus was beautiful, willy and green (just like Tech!). I met with Prof Chong, the Head of the Ecology and Biodiversity section of the Institute of Biological Sciences. Prof Chong showed me around and introduced me to some of the office staff (so they wouldn't worry when some tall, white, sweaty guy starts hanging around). UM is currently on a break between terms (they don't really have summer vacation at 8 degrees North of the equator) so most of the faculty were off-campus and I wasn't able to meet a lot of my new colleagues. On Friday I should be able to move into my new office and get ready for the start of the new term in July.


The College of Science

The Institute of Biological Sciences

No comments:

Post a Comment