Sunday, June 27, 2010

Figuring Out How Stuff Works


Things are done differently in diffferent places, so an important aspect of feeling comfortable in a new environment is "figuring out how stuff works". I am slowly making progress.

In places like banks and the phone company, you don't wait in line or form a "queue" (now is that a strange looking word or what!). Instead, you take a number, take a seat, and wait for your turn. There are "now serving # ..." signs so you know how you are progressing. Eventually, a very lovely female Asian voice with a British accent comes on the lound speaker and says "number three zero zero three to counter number five" and you are in business. It is not always clear to me how to pick up the ticket (sometimes you push a button on a machine othertimes you receive the ticket from a receptionisty). Luckily, I have found if you stand around looking "foreign and confused" then someone will come along to help. Luckily, I have that expression down, so I should be good to go.

Unrelated Aside- When the people in shops or the bank figure out that I am an American they often tell me to "have a nice day" at the end of our transation (it is finally nice to see a worthwhile American export). Although I appreciate them being friendly, this is one Texan who will not be outpolited, so I have become the biggest "have a nice day" saying fool you have ever met!

HAVE A NICE DAY!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks- I hope all is going well at in the old LBK. When and where is your next big summer adventure?

    ReplyDelete