Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Memo To Self


An umbrella sitting on a shelf in your apartment serves no useful function!

I still am not able to open a bank account because I am still waiting for my visa to be finalized. Because I have bills to pay, today I went downtown to MACEE to pick up a check that I could cash (rather than deposit). On the way from MACEE to the bank I met up with an Aussie surf bum who lives in Java. He had a map that helped me to find the bank. Thanks Mate!

Maybe I am starting to be accepted here. I pass through the lobby of my apartment complex many times a day. Usually there is a very serious (I thought) Malay lady sitting in the reception area and a cleaning lady working on the floors or window. Beause I pass by so often we are now on a "wave and smile" level of familiarity. Today while I was waiting for the elevator the receptionist lady goosed the cleaning woman with the antennae of her walkie talkie while the cleaning woman was bent over cleaning the window. We all cracked up and I still haven't been able to pass through the lobby without all three of us catching the giggles.

Maybe I am starting to be accepted here part 2. Tonight at dinner for the first time since I have been here they didn't bring the white guy a fork to eat with. Eating my soup with chopsticks was kind of difficult!

4 comments:

  1. I can just picture you being 3 feet taller than everyone else in the lobby having a giggle attack. Funny mental picture. Glad you're alive and I'm glad you've met someone you can relate to on a deeper political level (the surfer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The surfer dude said I should come to Java and be a scuba bum. He said he could hook me up with the right people. If only I didn't have this silly fellowship and a job to go back to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete