Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mangosteens


When I was here in March 2009 I was able to try some of the fruits that we were able to buy at the night market in Kuala Krau. My favorite of them all was the mongosteen, known as the "queen of fruit". The fruit is a dark purple color that is between a golf ball and a pool ball in size. When you cut them open the fruit is coated by a thick inedible layer, but inside lies the pulpy white part that is really tasty (I can't describe tastes, so I will just stick with "yummy"). The edible part is technically known as an "aril" which is a tasty piece of food that plants attach to their seeds to get the seeds dispersed (I can't find out who originally was supposed to disperse these seeds).

I saw mangosteens at street stalls in Bukit Bintang, but because I really didn't have anywhere to store them I didn't try any. Today I saw them at the grocery store so I bought some. There were a bunch of fruit flies fluttering around the mangosteen pile in the store so I hope I didn't bring any little science experiments home with me.

To learn more than you have ever wanted to know about mangosteens you can check out wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Mangosteen

No comments:

Post a Comment