Thursday, May 19, 2011

Premier Toilet

Pay toilets are a fact of life in KL. They typical public toilet in KL costs about 20 or 30 sens (about 7 - 10 cents). I don't think that this is a bad deal at all because most of the restrooms have an attendant that keeps things clean. Ocassionally, I would read complaints about the condition of toilets in Malaysia but I have to say that I was impressed about how clean they usually were.

Not long after I arrived in KL, I was at the Suria Mall in KLCC (where toilets are free). When the need arose I headed toward the closest facilities that I could find. I was surprise and shocked when the woman tried to charge me 2 ringgit to go to the bathroom. She explained that this was the "Premier Toilet" so it cost extra.


Obviously, there was not way that I was going to pay two ringgit to take a leak, so I quickly headed upstairs where the common folk are allowed to pee for free. Everytime that I returned to the mall I watch the people coming out of the Executive Toilet and I had to wonder what magic is happening in there to be worth so much cash. Because I thought that it was important for me to gain as many experiences as I could so that I could report back to my loyal blog readers, I decided that I should pay the price and see what a 2 ringgit toilet experience was like.

When I paid my money lady gave me a ticket (which of course has become my most treasured souvenier of my time in Malaysia) and a KLCC Suria Mall moist towlette. So far so good. Maybe this was going to be a worthwhile experience.


When I got inside I was greeted by the attendent. He seemed to be of middle eastern descent and was sharply dressed (with a bow tie). After taking care of my business I thought that I should collect some photographic evidence of my new experience. When I tried to take a picture of the bathroom, he insisted that he take my picture. He suggested that I pose with the flowers (that probably would not have been my choice, but you have to let the photographer work his magic).


As a special bonus, I got to share my Premier Toilet experience with Cedric Nome. Cedric is currently touring Malaysia with his present owner, Huey Lee. Huey is one of my scuba friends from Lubbock who had returned to Malaysia to attend her brother's wedding. Huey arrived in KL just a couple of days before I returned to Texas so I was glad that we were able to get together (it was fun to be the "tour guide" for a Malaysian). You might try to become one of Cedric's Facebook friends if you want to see other photos of his travels around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment