Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Visit From Alicia's Friends


Statia and Courtney waiting for the monorail at Imbi Station in KL.

My niece Alicia is a student at University of Washington in Seattle. One of her friends and classmates from UW, Statia, has been an intern in Phnom Phen, Cambodia this summer. Statia and I have exchanged several emails while she has been in Cambodia. Statia was joined by three of her friends and they travelled around SE Asia prior to returning to Washington (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, and Bali,Indonesia).

Last week they passed through KL so we met up, not surprisingly, at a Starbucks (where else would a bunch of Seattle-gals want to go?). It was fun to hear about Statia's time in Cambodia and their adventures (mostly good) during their travels (in Laos they stayed in a treehouse!). They were quite interested in learning more about Malaysia so I enjoyed sharing my experiences with them as well. It was also fun to hear "Alicia stories", which I promised that I would not share with Moms or Grandmas.

My niece is currently on a study abroad program in South Africa. Don't you think that a good niece would have come to visit her Uncle in Malaysia rather than "studying" in Africa?

No comments:

Post a Comment