Monday, September 20, 2010

Forgotten Photos From Melaka- Fishermen

During my trip to Melaka several weeks ago, I enjoyed watching a number of fisherman working off shore. There were about half a dozen people working in chest deep water. I waited to post the photos until I could figure out exactly what they were doing, but I haven't had any luck. If anyone knows what they were fishing for then please let me know.

They walk through the water pushing a net attached to two long poles,


It looks like they are pushing the net along the bottom. I don't know if they are trying to capture some sort of shellfish or bottome dwelling fish.


Eventually, they would stop and pick up the net.


They would pick something out of the net and throw it into a floating bucket thay they dragged befind them.


I don't think this looks like the most fun way to spend an afternoon.
r

1 comment:

  1. Catching shrimps (a.k.a gragau in Melaka) for making "belacan" (shrimp paste). Some of them are descendants of Portuguese settlers.

    ReplyDelete