Monday, September 20, 2010

Guest Lecture in UM Ecology Class

Yesterday Dr. Susan Lim invited me to gice a guest lecture in her ecology class. From teaching my own class here I have started to realize that one of the most important things that an outsider can provide is a different point of views. Thus, rather than trying to teach them something specific in ecology, I tried to give a brief overview of my view of the history of Western natural history and ecology and discuss the approach to studying ecology that has proven to be most effective in the US. I then tried to discuss how I would suggest using our experience in the US to help develop the next generation of ecologists in Malaysia.

Malaysian ecologists face several challenges that we do not face in the temperate zone including very high diversity, many undescribed species, little knowledge about the natural history of their organisms, and very complex ecosystems. In addition, Malaysian scientists will need to be able to communicate effectively with Malaysian policy makers about environmental issues. We plowed up the prairies long before we understood the value of biodiversity and the ecosystem services that they provide. Malaysian scientists have the opportunity to guide development in their country.

Here is a link to the presentation that I gave the class.
http://www.slideshare.net/secret/3emiagtsTbvKLl

The class had 25 - 30 students, with a slightly more females than males. They were quite attentive during my talk (that means they at least recognized when I was trying to be funny). At the end of the talk Dr. Lim had to work hard encouraging them to ask me some questions, but once they overcame their initial shyness they asked very insightful and interesting classes. I enjoyed my brief interaction with these students and I was pleased to see so many young Malaysians concerned about their environment.

After I finished I wrote my email address on the board. One of the students asked me if I am on Facebook and they were all surprised when I said "yes". I now have some new Malaysian Facebook friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment