Monday, February 7, 2011

Thean Hou Temple- Part II

There was a lot to see on the grounds surrounding Thean Hou Temple.

People crossing over the Prosperity Bridge could make a donation to monks after washing in holy water.


For only 68 ringgit (about $21) you can buy a plate of gifts for the gods.


The view of the KL skyline from the temple.


Drums

This Eifel Tower-looking structure contained a drum for each of the Chinese zodiac signs.


I think that beating on drum with your sign is supposed to bring good luck and prosperity.


Shoes

Visitors are required to remove their shoes befor entering the temple. According to the signs, visitors are expected to keep their shoes "under their custody".


Clearly, most visitors ignored this sign. Generally, all of these uattended shoes would offer some good opportunities to upgrade your footwear. Unfortunately, I don't think that my big western feet would fit into most of these Asian shoes, so I left with the shoes I came with.


Chinese Zodiak Signs

They had little statues for each of the Chinese zodiak signs.
The dog.


The monkey.


The rat.


The tiger seems very popular with the kids.


The Turtle Pond



Nazi turtle?


The Goddess of Mercy pouring water from her jar.


I don't know what this says, but it looks cool when written in Mandarin.



A wise Chinese man.


Two wise men.


For some reason this kid reminded me of Pinochio. I just wanted to tap on him to make sure that he was not made out of wood. What should be the punishment for any mother that makes, or allows, their son to go out in public dressed like this?



The road leading up to the temple was lined with stalls selling food, drinks, and souveniers. One sad thing was that every crippled beggar in KL was lined up along the road. You can see them lined up along the curb.


I thought that Buddhism was a peaceful religion so I don't really know what the deal is with the toy guns and swords.

1 comment: