Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Langkawi- Boat Tour

Not surprisingly, touring Langkawi by boat is a popular pastime for tourists. One day I took a boat tour that visited some of the small surrounding islands and travelled through the mangroves.

It took about half an hour to to travel in (a very crowded) minibus across the island from Cenang Beach to the tour boat dock. We boarded a boat just like this one for the tour.


Our tour guide was both knowledgeable and funny so he made the trip a lot more fun (I learned a lot).


There are a number of small islands or big rocks depending on how you like to classify things. That is the reason that noone seems to agree on exactly how many islands are in the Langkawi archipellago.


The sea has eroded and disolved away the rocks so that these islands all have this characteristic shape.


After touring around some of the islands we stopped in a protected bay with shallow clear water so that we could see some tropical fish. The guides gave us bread to toss into the water which attracted large numbers of Sergeant Majors to the boat. Sergeant Majors are one of the few Malaysian fish species that I recognize from the Caribbean so I was not too excited, but it was clear that most of the others on the tour were excited to be so close to a tropical fish. I guess not everyone has spent as much time with their head underwater as I have.


The biology nerd that I am, I was much more interested in looking at the zonation in the intertidal invertebrates living on the rocks.


The brown thing in the trees are roosting fruit bats. I was pleased to hear the guide tell us about the importance of bats as pollinators of popular Malaysian fruits such as durians.


I think she has come a long way to feed the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment