Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taman Negara- Cool Butterfly

You don't always have to go into the wilderness to see something interesting. During my visit to Taman Negara I visted the floating mini-market to buy some cookies and a drink. While looking through their very small collection of t-shirts, I noticed something I thought was cool.

There was a butterfly sitting on the t-shirt.


When I looked more closely at the butterfly I noticed that it had a cool adaptation. If you look closely at the bottom part of its hind wing you will see what looks like a head with two beady eyes. The thought is that a when a predator (maybe a bird) tries to attack its prey it strikes for the head. If the butterfly can fool the predator into attacking the wrong end, it increases the chance that the butterfly will survive. I have read about this, but never seen it before.


Sorry this close up is a little blurry.


Hint- If you want to appear cool to the locals from Kuala Tahan and tourists from all over the world, then it is probably not a good idea to get too excited when you see a butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment