Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More Chinese New Year

Lion Dancers in the Mall

On Thursday as I was passing through Amcorp Mall, where I live, I heard the sounds of drums and cymbals. When I arrived at the travel agent office, located near the elevators to my apartment, I discovered that the travel agents were being visited by lion dancers. It appears that the lion dancers visited all of the Chinese Malaysian-owned businesses in the mall throughout the day. Why don't I ever see this in the South Plains Mall?!?

In each store, the lions were presented with offerings to ensure propserity in the coming year. The lion dances went on for most of the day in the mall so I am sure that the music must have caused a few headaches for people that had to work there all day. I guess that it is worth a few head aches to assure a prosperous year.

The band outside the travel agency.


The lion stands to get an offering that was hanging from the ceiling.


The visit to each store ended with the official photo. Here is the photo from a Chinese Health and Beauty Product store.


This shop sells purses.


Yes, it is hot under there.


Chinese New Year Dinner

On Friday night I went to a Chinese New Year Dinner. We were entertained by a group of musicians and lion dancers from a local high school.

The two lion dancers and some other dude (I have no idea who he is supposed to be.)


Preparing to digest the offerings.


You can see that the kids love the lion dancers. Note: the girl in the pink dress is being cared for by her foreign maid.


Chinese Acrobats

For me, the highlight of the evening was a group of five young acrobats from China who put on an amazing show. The youngest girl was only 7 years old!



At the end of the show the girls went into the crowd to let some of the audience see if they could spin these "flowers". When they saw that I was a natural spinner they, of course, asked me to join the group. Sadly, I still have a few months left on my fellowship.




Don't you think that if she was really good she could balance burning candles in her candelabra?




My back still hurts after watching this.

No comments:

Post a Comment