Monday, January 24, 2011

Taman Negara Resort

There are a number of lodging options while visiting Taman Negara ranging from backpacker hostels, cheap hotels, and nicer resorts. Because it was the only hotel located on the national park side of the river, I chose to stay at the Taman Negara Resort. Although the rooms were nice and the grounds were pretty and well maintained, the best thing about the resort was its location. Our cabin backed up to the rainforest, the National Park headquarters and interpretive center was right next door, the Tahan Hide (for wildlife viewing) was just a short walk away, and many of the trail heads for hikes started out from the resort.

All in all the resort was probably overpriced. Whether or not it was worth staying there depends on your budget and how much you want to stay "in the forest". The cost of the river transfer from Kuala Temmbeling to the resort was included in the package and they made this transfer very easy. I was glad that I stayed there because it was my first visit to Taman Negara, but I probably would not stay there again if I returned. Because prices were higher at the resort than on the other side, I ate most meals and booked my tours across the river. For tours we booked through NKS located at the LBK Floating Restaurant. Our tours through NKS were cheaper and had many fewer participants than trips booked through the hotel.

The Taman Negara Resort jetty and the stairs up to the hotel.


Because the hotel is located above the river they use this rail system to get bags from the jetty to the hotel.



We were welcomed by hotel workers singing a traditional Malay song.


Around the resort.




My cabin.


The back porch of my cabin faced directly into the rainforest.


Another view from the back porch. Sometimes it has been possible to see mouse deer between the two cabins but I never got lucky enough to see them.


The hotel restaurant. We ate breakfast here. The breakfast buffet contained a mixture of Western (e.g., omletes, pancakes, bacon) and Malaysian food (nasi lemak, fried rice, noodles). Although I enjoy a lot of the spicy Malaysian food, I am not ready to eat spicy food for breakfast so I stick with a more familiar breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment