Thursday, April 7, 2011

Walking the Boardwalk

After working up an appetite watching monkeys and walking around in the mud we had a nice big breakfast when we got back from the morning river cruise. After a short break it was time to go for a walk around the "Hornbill Boardwalk" before lunch. The boardwalk formed a loop from the lodge into the forest and allowed us to look for birds and forest plants without getting all muddy.




As an ex plant ecologist I am a little embarassed to admit that I don't know the names of any of the rainforest plants. These species are so different from the ones that I used to work with in Kansas, Utah, Arizona, Minnesota, and Texas, and there are so darn many of them that I have just decided that it is OK for me to be ignorant. Our guide told us that this is the plant that the natives used to make poison for the poison darts.


There were lots of pretty flowers.











Another flying lizard!

No comments:

Post a Comment