Monday, April 18, 2011

Corny Bean Desert!?!

Although I have enjoyed eating Malaysian food, there are times when I miss familiar foods from home. Living in Texas I eat a lot of Tex-Mex and barbeque, so I eat a lot of beans. I am also not a big fan of green vegetables, so I eat a lot of corn (corn of course, is "the edible vegetable". Beans and corn are not a major part of the Malaysian diet. It is possible to buy little cups of corn at roadside stalls, but neither corn nor beans are ever served as part of a main Malaysian meal.

Instead, beans and corn are found in a popular Malaysian desert!?!

Ice Kachung

Ice kachung (also known as ABC) is a dessert made out of shaved ice. It is sort of like a snow cone. In addition to several types of very sweet syrup, ice kachung contains beans, corn, and some wierd jelly-like gummy worms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ais_kacang

This is not a good example of a normal ice kachung because it has more liquid than normal. The beans and the corn are hidden beneath all of that inpenetrable liquid.


I don't think that red beans or corn should ever be anywhere near to a desert so ice kachungs are not my favorite, but clearly people here love them. Even KFC has gotten on the bandwagon. Are they serving this dessert in Lubbbock yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment