Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tourists!!!


After living in Malaysia for a little over six weeks now and learning at least three phrases in Malay (although I must admit I haven't had the guts to try them out in public, because I don't think that my Texas accent leads me to speak like a native- any time I try saying Malay words people start giggling uncontrollably), I am starting to feel like a true resident of Malaysia. UM, where I work, and PJ, where I live, are normal cross sections of Malaysian society, so I don't see too many white folks on a regular basis.

This weekend I spent two evenings back in Bukit Bintang, one of the main tourist hang outs in KL. The main drag of BB is known as the "Bintang Walk" where you can sit and literally watch the world pass by; there are visitors from all over the globe. It was surprising to me that after only 6 weeks here, I found it wierd to see white people (and because most of them were from Europe, they are really really white- apparently the sun never shines in Europe... or is the black socks they wear with their sandals that make them seem so pale). Not only was I surrounded by "foreigners" but they were "tourists!!!" (Poor lost confused tourists, I am so glad that I have moved past that stage).

The number of tourists from the Middle-East was much higher than it was when I stayed in BB when I first arrived six weeks ago (summer vacation in Saudi Arabia??). I still find it a bit odd to see a man in shorts and a t shirt walking down the street with his wife covered in the full black bhurka. I have not done the appropriate scientific survey, but I am pretty sure that the favorite place to eat of the visitors from the Middle East is the Golden Arches of McDonalds.

Friday night I shopped a bit and then ate outdoors at a Chinese restaruant on the corner just a black off of the Bintang Walk (Tigga might remember the place) where I had Chinese ribs cooked in a clay pot. Saturday night was steak at a Chinese steak house (The Ship) followed by the "Sexy Diva Show" performed by "lady boys". You don't see that too often in Lubbock!!! You can imagine my joy when I was the embarassed white guy pulled up on stage to be fought over by the transvestites as part of the show. I hope that the Fulbright Commission recognizes the sacrifices I make to maintain good US-Malaysian relations!

Make sure to join the "Sexy Divas" Facebook group.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=149148&id=311388494726#!/pages/The-Sexy-Divas/311388494726

2 comments:

  1. I'm still freaking out about no top sheets...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I probably wouldn't use the top sheet even if I had one. I adjust my AC throughout the night. I have a very thick comforter which gets thrown to the side while I sleep. Think how much laundry effort I am saving!

    ReplyDelete