Thursday, July 22, 2010

I Fought Bureaucracy and Maybe It Was a Draw


I have been waiting for several weeks for my visa to be finalized. Without a finalized visa I can not get a bank account, formally sign a lease for my apartment, etc. Therefore, many people are concerned about my vias. The folks from MACEE called and learned that visa had been approved, so hopefully all I had to do today was to pick up the visa from UM and then head down town to open up a bank account. If only things were so easy.

It took two trips to campus before I had the right paperwork. Then, they took my passport and said I will get it and my visa sometime next week. I still had to go into town so that I could pick up my check (which can not be direct deposited into my non-existent bank account). I of course arrived down town while MACEE was closed for lunch so I had lunch in the Food Court of the Pavillion Mall (claypot chicken rice with vegetables). I was glad to spend some time in the AC to dry off the sweat I had worked up on the way down there. What should have been a nice 10 minute walk from the mall to MACEE just happened to conicide with today's monsoon. My sweat stains were quckly washed off by the pouring rain.

After MACEE it was a 25 minute walk to the Citibank in Ampang Park, the only place where I can cash my check. By now it was just drizzling; I would like to say a cooling drizzle, but the thermometer on the bank said 36 degrees C (which is a lovely 97 F). When I got to the bank, of course I needed my passport to cash my check (which I had given to people at UM earlier in the day). I had a copy of my passport and my Texas drivers liscence. After much thought they decided that I had sufficient ID to cash the check. I think they thought that just giving me my money was their best way of getting the wet, sweatty man out of their bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment