Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Field Trip to FRIM With the 7th Graders

Yesterday I went on a field trip to the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia (FRIM) with 7th graders from Mr. Hopp's 7th grade science class at Mont Kiara International School.

Mont Kiara International School

Mont Kiara International School is an American-curriculum school (pre K through high school) located in Mont Kiara, an expat enclave in KL. MKIS currently has students from 55 different countries (that is international!). One of my friends introduced me to Walter Morris the Headmaster of MKIS and I went to visit the school a couple of weeks back. When Mr. Morris realized that I was an "environmental type", he hooked me up with their environmental science teacher, Jay Hopp. Jay, originally from Oregon, was already familiar with, and had been using in his classes, some of the educational materials that Tigga Kingston, others, and I had prepared about Malaysian bats. Jay and I had a great time chatting about science ed(until our visit was interupted by a fire drill!). When he invited me to tag along with a field trip to FRIM I was happy to accept.

http://www.mkis.edu.my/

Mr. Hopp inspires the troops!


FRIM

The Forest Research Institute of Malaysia is a governmental agency charged with developing sustainable foresty practices for Malaysia. Their field site, located near KL, was originally the site of tin mine and rubber plantation that they have attempted to revegetate starting in the 1920s. FRIM contains a number of hiking and mountain biking trailsand a canopy walk so it is a popular destination for locals and tourists. Teachers in KL are lucky to have such a great resource so nearby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Research_Institute_Malaysia

The Field Trip

On Tuesday about 30 students, two teachers, 5 Moms, and I hopped on a yellow "bas sekola" for the 30-40 minute trip from Mont Kiara to FRIM. The purpose of the trip was for the students to explore the rainforest and try to work out the answer to the question- "what is a rainforest?".

The bas sekola


Mr. Ang, from FRIM, tells the students about the flora and fauna.


No comments:

Post a Comment