Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Look at KL from the LRT


Kuala Lumpur has a well developed mass transit sytstem. There are 5 distinct rail lines and one monorail line. I live near the Kelana Jaya/Putra LRT (Light Rail Transit) line which is shown in pink in the map above (I can see the train passing from my apartment window right now as I am typing this).

The trains that run on my LRT line have an automatic pilot so there is no engineer driving the train. That means that there is a window in the very front of the train which is a cool place to watch the world go by. Usually there are little kids looking out the window, and I guess that it would not help US-Malaysian relations for the tall white guy to kick them out of that spot. Luckily, on Saturday when I went to KLCC (Kuala Lumpur City Center)I had the front of the train all to myself. Here is what you see on the train as you go from Taman Jaya station near my house to KLCC. KLCC station is located right next the the Petronas Towers, so you can sometimes see my destination in the distance along the way.

The mighty Amcorp Mall (my home) viewed from Taman Jaya station



The view between Taman Jaya and Universiti stations


Universiti station (station next to UM)


The view between Universiti and Kerinchi stations


Kerinchi station (Keninchi station is located within a building- pretty wierd)


The view between Kerinchi and Abdulla Hukum stations (the large building on the right is the Mid-Valley Mall, one of the large, popular malls in KL)


Abdulla Hukum station


The view between Abdulla Hukum and Bangsar stations


Bangsar station (Bangsar is an upscale neighborhood where lots of expats live)


The view between Bangsar and KL Sentral stations


KL Sentral station (KL Sentral is the largest station in KL. Many of the lines cross at this point so Kl Sentral is a major point of transit from one line to another).


The view between KL Sentral and Pasar Seni stations


The Pasar Seni station


Between Pasar Seni and Majid Jamek stations the train goes underground as it passes through downtown KL.


It is not so easy to take a photo in a dark tunnel!

No comments:

Post a Comment