Monday, May 24, 2010

Want to Learn More About Malaysia?


The purpose of this blog is to chronicle my "adventure" while I am in Malaysia. Hopefully, you will come to have a better understanding about the history, culture, peoples, and environment of Malaysia if you stick with me until the end of this project (and you will probably also get a few laughs at my expense).

What the "Typical American" Knows About Malaysia

If you are like most "geographically challenged" US citizens then you probably don't know very much about Malaysia. I surveyed one of my big biology lecture courses to ask them what they knew about Malaysia. Most students admitted their ignorance, although many of them knew that Malaysia was somehow involved in the movie "Zoolander" (I have never seen this film, so I guess that I should try to watch it before I leave). I also knew relatively little about this country before learning that I was going to visit for the first time in March 2009.

Where is Malaysia?
Click on map to enlarge.


Basic Information About Malaysia

If you are dying to learn just a little about Malaysia then you can get started with some basic info from the CIA. http://www.eoearth.org/article/Malaysia

Here is a link to a Powerpoint presentation that students enrolled in my Ecology class for students enrolled in the Natural History and Humanities major (including two Malaysian graduate students) prepared to teach Lubbock 4th graders a little bit about life in Malaysia. Even though it is aimed at elementary school kids, you might find it interesting.

http://www.slideshare.net/secret/3JwD4G3hq4RjhQ

More to Come

Today I learned how to take pictures on my new digital camera and my students helped me to learn how to upload my photos onto the computer (one student told me that I was "worse than her Dad!"). I am sure that I will be a National Geographic style photojournalist in no time.

2 comments: